vonkuttenberg

Monitor Attachement Rigs For Glidecam

hello, what are the posssibilities of attaching monitors to glidecam? (i have x10 + hd2000) i have seen some smaller "gliding arm" and than somthing what looked like some one-axis-rotated-rig connected to the bottom forward counterweight.

does exist some solution where i can use my magicarm to screw in?

hello, what are the posssibilities of attaching monitors to glidecam? (i have x10 + hd2000) i have seen some smaller "gliding arm" and than somthing what looked like some one-axis-rotated-rig connected to the bottom forward counterweight.

does exist some solution where i can use my magicarm to screw in?

Yes, we offer a monitor bracket for attaching a monitor to the base of the Glidecam hand-held units (mostly used in conjunction with a Smooth Shooter or X-10) The Glidecam HD-4000 is recommended moreover that the HD2000 for external, base monitor usage; due to its ability to handle greater weight load cameras (4 to 10 lbs) You'll want to choose a lightweight monitor and battery pack for this application. The Glidecam L7-Pro weighs 14 oz. *see attached photos

Yes, we offer a monitor bracket for attaching a monitor to the base of the Glidecam hand-held units (mostly used in conjunction with a Smooth Shooter or X-10) The Glidecam HD-4000 is recommended moreover that the HD2000 for external, base monitor usage; due to its ability to handle greater weight load cameras (4 to 10 lbs) You'll want to choose a lightweight monitor and battery pack for this application. The Glidecam L7-Pro weighs 14 oz. *see attached photos

How does the video cable from the camera to the monitor affix to the glidecam? It can't be good if it's loosely hanging. Is it tied onto the post somehow?

The video cable can be run externally on the outside of the central post or you could elect to centrally wire by drilling a hole in the top in the bottom and running the cable through the post. The quickest and easiest solution, which is also the most practical, would be to run the cable on the outside of the post.

How does the video cable from the camera to the monitor affix to the glidecam? It can't be good if it's loosely hanging. Is it tied onto the post somehow?

I used to 90 degree small shelf brackets from the hardware store with nylex nuts and High tensil allen head screws I cut the brackets did not have to drill holes all lined up. I used velcro cable ties to fix the cable to Glidecam post and coiled rest at base you can by the from fabric and hardware shops usually about 6 in a packet. Also on the bottum of monitor i attached some self adhesive velcro tape and also on the top of the bracket that meets monitor as well to stop movement in case bumped

Edited by owens

I used to 90 degree small shelf brackets from the hardware store with nylex nuts and High tensil allen head screws I cut the brackets did not have to drill holes all lined up. I used velcro cable ties to fix the cable to Glidecam post and coiled rest at base you can by the from fabric and hardware shops usually about 6 in a packet. Also on the bottum of monitor i attached some self adhesive velcro tape and also on the top of the bracket that meets monitor as well to stop movement in case bumped

Hi Owens,

Where did you find the adaoptor that you put on the top to attach the camera plate? That is exactly what I am looking for. I don't want to mount the camera on the HD 4000.

Hi Owens,

Where did you find the adaoptor that you put on the top to attach the camera plate? That is exactly what I am looking for. I don't want to mount the camera on the HD 4000.

Hi

I Made the parts to attach the Miller tripod quick release plate. I used some aluminium from a local merchant got it out of there recycle bin one piece cut into 3 plates to get right thickness so the release button on end of release plate clears top of glidecam there are two screws through bottom of glidecam plate one goes directly into the bottom of quick release plate the second one I tapped a thread into just the 3 pieces of aluminium and screwed into it through bottom of glidecam plate. In the top of the first aluminium plate before i put quick release plate on i drilled a hole for the Positioning pin on the bottom of quick release plate, use domed head screws so they clear adjustment screws in glidecam.

Why i used this is when i mount my camera on the quick release plate i have set it up that i pull the camera all the way back to the stop and lock it there. Then when i take the camera of the glidecam and put it straight onto my Miller tripod then back again i just slide it back to the stop and lock it again, keeping the glidecam in balance.

Edited by owens

i went to locksmith to drill the holes into the glidecam. he did it with rounded file. it is about 20mm wide (i hope it will not influence durability of HD-2000 in future) i hardly went thru with minihdmi connector which i cutted of from 18mm x 13mm > 13mm x 8mm. only problematic was the lenght finally which is around 4cm long. going inside was easy :) worse is going up out which will take me around 2mins to suceed. i thing the holes could be about 2mm smaller but not more (at least with minihdmi cables avilable in czech republic)

ok my first setup cookbook:

v1 [5dmII, 24-70 2.8L IS USM @ 24mm, marshall V-LCD50HDMI]

- upper: one top plate under the camera, camera screwed into last middle hd-2000 baseplate, adition plate is 1-2holes before last, centred (camera moved almost maximum to front on sidescrew, almost centered on LeftRight screw)

- fron bottom: no small plates, no screws, only Liliputs "oncamera mount arm", MINIMUM expanded from main stick

- back bottom: 3 small plates, MAXIMUM expanded

- stick lowered as much as possible for the cable about 25mm from bottom

next version will be with marshall original sunshade on monitor which is actualy to heavy that i ll have to use another upper plate or more probably tripod plate as many users have.

img0773p.th.jpgimg0774su.th.jpgimg0775x.th.jpgimg0776fz.th.jpgimg0777x.th.jpgimg0781xo.th.jpgimg0782a.th.jpgimg0785ui.th.jpgimg0787el.th.jpg

Edited by vonkuttenberg

and an advice about HDMI cable for HD-2000... with 5dMII

LENGHT: 1.5m and more is useless as i actually have on previous photos. minimum requiered i measurred is 0.8m so 1m will be ideal (0.75m if you have slightly different setup).

TYPE: HDMI-HDMI is no chance to pull throught hd2000 stick so you need mini-hdmi on one side (cutted of as much as possible to reduce size of connector) reduced back to big HDMI later if needed.

PS: 90° angled minihdmi reduce would be great since as you see on photos minihdmi from camera stick out quite a lot, but still usable.

Edited by vonkuttenberg

I've come up with a very inexpensive and lightweight solution for mounting my 7" monitor on an HD4000. Total cost was about 2 dollars at True Value hardware. It's a black, plastic trowel which I heated and bent over a board to give it the right angle for viewing. After drilling two holes to match the Glidecam weight bolts I mounted the monitor to the trowel with industrial velcro and ran the monitor battery wire to the other side of the sled where I've mounted the monitor battery. It doesn't look inexpensive because you can't see it while it's in use and it blends well with the Glidecam.

mike

Edited by foosie

Hi thom, are these the measurements on the HDMI cable ?

The hole that was made by Vonkuttenberg for his HDMI modification was a 20mm (.787 inches); whereas he already had it done, it was cleared as Ok for operation; however, not ideal or what Glidecam recommends, we recommend not making a hole larger than 15.875mm (.6250 inches or 5/8") for HDMI, as the diameter of the central post is 1.00" or 25mm.

The hole that was made by Vonkuttenberg for his HDMI modification was a 20mm (.787 inches); whereas he already had it done, it was cleared as Ok for operation; however, not ideal or what Glidecam recommends, we recommend not making a hole larger than 15.875mm (.6250 inches or 5/8") for HDMI, as the diameter of the central post is 1.00" or 25mm.

Thanks Thomas.

Just wondered if anybody has used the new SmallHD DP4 monitor on the foot of the HD2000 ? It's light weight(250g)and you can use the Canon camera batteries so this all interests me and I can also use it as an evf on the 5D or other cameras. if mounted on the foot of the Glidecam would the screen size be too small at that distance, even if it's just to give a guideline on the framing rather than focus ? I understand the actual picture size is 4.3" and so is pretty much the same as the Marshall 5", as it uses up the full screen. I have not been able to test any of the kit out here in Africa, so would welcome advice ?

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP4.html

Edited by Trevor Pleco

Thanks Thomas.

Just wondered if anybody has used the new SmallHD DP4 monitor on the foot of the HD2000 ? It's light weight(250g)and you can use the Canon camera batteries so this all interests me, and I can also use it as an evf on the 5D or other cameras. On the foot of the Glidecam would the screen size be too small at that distance, even if it's just to give a guideline on the framing ? I understand the actual screen picture size of 4.3" is pretty much the same as the Marshall 5", as it uses up the full screen, but here in Africa I have not been able to test either, lol.

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP4.html

This should work out great at 250g

On these pictures (sorry... out of focus, made with my smartphone) you can see the two holes at top and bottom of the sled for monitor cable. It work

On these pictures (sorry... out of focus, made with my smartphone) you can see the two holes at top and bottom of the sled for monitor cable. It work

What will happend if i mount my DP4 on central post using tube-mount instead on sled? Is it still question of counterbalancing or somthing else change if central post get more weight?

Hello,

Do you mean using the threaded insert in the bottom of the central post? If so, this is not advisable.

No, i mean mounting it i midle of central post with clamp...

Can someone explain to me why it is the common thing to mount a monitor to the FRONT of the sled as opposed to the BACK (toward operator) of the sled?

When I imagine this layout, I would think that my hands and the central post will be right between my eyes and the monitor most of the time if I'm keeping the sled right in front of me and pointed straight ahead. Is this not true?