Hey guys!

I am new to the Glidecam and I am also new to the forum. I recently purchased a used Glidecam HD-2000 from eBay. The item is in good condition.
Like most people, I got the device and immediately attempted to balance it after watching the plethora of YouTube videos and wanted to start flying the system. Once I did that, I was unable to keep a true and level horizon no matter how careful I walked. After much research, I determined that my gimbal needed calibration. I attempted this, but was not able to get it myself.
Tom/Glidecam had me send the system in to get calibrated and I got it back this week. I've been messing with the system since then.

I believe part of my issue originally was that I had too much weight on the bottom. Though my drop-time was 2-3 seconds, I opened myself up for too much of the pendulum effect.

I think I now have the correct combination of weight on top and bottom as well as the pole length. I still struggle with a straying horizon.
Should I be able to fly the system 1 handed in a forward motion and it stay truly level? I realize there is a learning curve for these systems and I want to LOVE this system, but right now, it is just frustrating and I can't seem to keep a level horizon no matter what I do.

Any suggestions or tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Jared Collins

Hi Jared,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties!   The Glidecam is designed as a 'two hand' operation, however, using "one hand' is just a important.  The biggest problem comes with over-controlling with the guiding hand.  This leads to instability.  With the 2.5 to  3 second drop time, you'll want to adjust the horizontal balance as you've done, then once that is accomplished.  Fly the Glideca, by walking in a straight line and do not use your guiding hand.  Also, keep your 'wrist' solid/locked.  Like you are sawing a piece of wood for example...    Just walk straight.  DONT walk slowly walk a around 2.5 MPH.   Do this and you'll be headed in the right directions.  Do this indoors (no wind)  

Let us know how it works out

On 10/30/2018 at 10:40 AM, Tom Howie said:

Hi Jared,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties!   The Glidecam is designed as a 'two hand' operation, however, using "one hand' is just a important.  The biggest problem comes with over-controlling with the guiding hand.  This leads to instability.  With the 2.5 to  3 second drop time, you'll want to adjust the horizontal balance as you've done, then once that is accomplished.  Fly the Glideca, by walking in a straight line and do not use your guiding hand.  Also, keep your 'wrist' solid/locked.  Like you are sawing a piece of wood for example...    Just walk straight.  DONT walk slowly walk a around 2.5 MPH.   Do this and you'll be headed in the right directions.  Do this indoors (no wind)  

Let us know how it works out

Tom,

Thank you for your response! For some reason, the horizon seems to sway left to right if there's not a hand there to guide it. Are you not supposed to be able to walk slowly with this system? I would think that would help with stability. After watching several of Stefan Czech's videos, he claimed slow movements were the key to smooth footage.