johnrrr

Basic question about balancing - cage/flipscreen etc

Hey all, brand new user, HD2000.

Having problems balancing (surprise!)

Can someone please advise me - am I ok leaving my GH5 in its smallrig cage (with handle)?

And am I ok having the flip screen out?

I've got really close, but not perfect. Drop test is fine, but spin test tends to go off.

One other potential problem. I picked it up second hand and I just noticed today that some of the rubber feet are missing. There was one more on one side than the other. I've now removed one from the other side so it is more balanced (there are two on the left hand side of one of the feet, and two on the right hand side of the other). Could this be causing the problems with spinning? Should I take them all off?

Thanks!

Basically, I'm always getting a little bit of wobble. Anyone have any ideas or can confirm whether I can use a cage/flip screen etc?

Thanks

Hi johnrrr,

It is important that your center of gravity (horizontal) is over the central post, so with the monitor 'flipped out', that would me a differing placement than if the monitor is retracted inward.  Then, remember you'll want a 2.5 to 3 second drop time (vertical) balance, so the Glidecam is neither too top heavy, or bottom heavy.

The rubber feet are relatively inconsequential, however, that primary goal is symmetrical place of weight and CG alignment, therefore it stands to reason that you either use ALL or NONE, but this could also be a little nit-picky, as I have seen many Glidecams is terrible condition and been amazed at the quality of the shots that were obtained.

Make sure any Third-Party items are secured properly i.e. "Small Rig Cage"

Thanks Tom.

The feet - I've got 4 on, equally spaced so hopefully that will be ok. But worst case I will try without (just makes it harder to put down). I guess I can find something similar to replace them with.

I have got a good drop time, and regarding the centre of gravity - that is just based on making the fine-tuning adjustments , yes? If so, I have done that. I seem to have it balanced but it's wobbling still.

I think the problem may be the weight at the top isn't enough. It's a GH5 and only tried it so far with the 12-35mm lens (I have some larger heavier lenses but not tried them yet). 

Am I right in thinking if the weight at the top isn't enough - even with a good drop time - that could cause a wobble? I've literally not had chance to try more weight since thinking about this but hope to try later either with a bigger lens, or putting some weights on the top etc.

Thanks

John

Top Weight is a factor that needs to be considered.  If there is NOT enough top weight, the result will be that it is too Bottom heavy, therefore due to this lack to TOP WEIGHT, the result is excessive BOTTOM WEIGHT.

That is the scenario - Too Bottom Heavy, duty too little weight on Top.

Solution:  Get a heavier cameras.. just kidding, obviously that is one way to do it, however, that is not the case here...   SO, we need to make a couple of corrections in order to make the 'Ratio' of 'Weight and Leverage' balance-out so we then have a Smooth Operator!

#1.  REMOVE 2 Counter Weights (1 from the Front and 1 from the Back)   **NOTE:  Each Counter Weight is 4 OUNCES (1/4 LBS)

#2.  ADD a Glidecam Camera Weight Plate under the cameras [GLCWP] - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656408-REG/Glidecam_GLCWP_Camera_Weight_Plate.html

#3.  SLIDE the Telescoping Post up and into the central post; making the Glidecam Central Post shorter and reduces leverage resulting in Less Bottom Heaviness.

Its all about the RATIO between Camera Weight (TOP) and Counter Weight (BOTTOM), which ideally should be a 3:1 ratio.   The measured result will be a 2.5 to 3 second drop time...

Here's a video on Balance, maybe useful, even though it is not your model.

Hope this helps...  Let us know :)

Fly Safe!