sunsetamps

I Am Very Confused By My Hd2000 With 577 Kit That I Just Bought :(

Ok guys, love the videos. Love the work you guys are doing. I love the potential of the glidecam.

I am a Nikon D800 shooter. I am doing some commercial videos and need the glide.

I bought a HD2000 kit that comes with a manfrotto 577 quick release. This was from B&H.

The two items came together as a package.

However.. The manfrotto 577 seems incompatible.

First off my 577 needs about 3 turns minimum on the tightening lever to tighten the plate, well unless I sit the 577 to the extreme right then I have no access to turning the plate lever??? I can get the HD200 balanced and working and then I add the plate to the far right so I can access the plate and then the whole thing is a mess and cannot be tuned.

The second issue. My camera with a 24-70 or a 16-28 like I use or even my 28mm total in weight about 3-4lbs. So it is within the 2-6lb range limit. But, I need two screws to fasten the camera to the HD2000 and the only way to do this is to use the 577 but the two supplied screws do not both fit the holes? The one screw fits perrectly, the second supplied screw is too fat by a tiny tiny bit? I guess I could buy another screw but the second issue is the holes on the HD2000 plate do not align with the 577 plate holes?? So there is no way possible to use the 577 as I can only attach it via 1 screws, well this in theory seems acceptable but the weight of the camera and lens causes the camera to within minutes to spin and it screws everything up. And again unless I have the 577 to the far right on the HD2000 plate then I have no access to the tension knob which needs a good 3 turns to lock down the 577 plate.

I have watched every glidecam video I can find and I see nothing regarding this?? I understand everything about the glidecam and how it all works but this mounting issue. It is very frustrating because if I could just mount the camera with the plate I could fly, but flying is not in the cards. I seriously am frustrated. Help me out, what am I not understanding? Thanks so much

Sunsetamps, like quick reléase I recommend you the manfrotto 323.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-323-Connect-Adapter-200PL-14/dp/B001ASU1QO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1365353864&sr=8-8&keywords=manfrotto+577

I use it with a Nikon D5100 camera with 10-24mm lens.....work great. It is very fast to put on and take off......for go in another rig...such as slider for example.

Edited by Mauricio Rodriguez Campos

Thanks for the replies. I am a bit more confused now?? Why would the kit include a 577 if it is not compatible? If I have to modify the 577 or hd2000 does that void warranty/returns? I would imagine yes. I hate the idea of buying a different quick release, as its a time waster and how can I be sure it will work if the kit included 577 does not? Lastly with 4-5 pounds of camera, lens, filter, microphone I would imagine that I would want a dual point screw in mount. Without the 577 a single screw mount directly to the glidecam causes the camera to spin, which is awful. Same thing happens when the 577 is mounted via a single screw. Bummed!

The Glidecam HD2000 as you point out only has one mounting hole that is compatible with the 577, as it is with all camera ddue to the single mounting (threaded) hole. This kit being offered does not utilize the full potential of the Glidecam and QR assembly as the Glidecam HD4000 does. This kit lisitng should be removed from B&H ssite. Have you considered exchanging the HD2000 with an HD4000? Or as you mentionedn the only other (warranty voiding) option is to drill a hole, which I'm thinking is something that you do not want to do

Thanks Tom for the reply. I guess I am in a bit of a pickle. I would be ok with drilling just one hole if I knew the HD2000 would then work, but since I am a new glidecam user I am sure it would take me a few tries to get the exactallignment. I would also like to see the thing in action before I void its warranty and replacement ability. As for the HD4000 well its a thought, but the truth is my camera and lens weighs under 4lbs, with filter and microphone I just get close to 5lbs. My point, I am often just using camera and lens weighing under 4lbs I feel like the hd4000 will not see the weight it needs.

The Glidecam HD-2000 when used with one screw should not be a major concern, get familiar with the system and see that when properly balanced and aligned the camera will stay put and not move from its 'secured' position. As a security, for additional friction, to avoid the risk of 'slippage', use Gaffers Tape under the camera, just a couple of strips on the camera mounting plate with provide an extra grip, eliminating the camera from rotating. We have been doing this for 20 years, and have never had a report of a camera falling off due to there being only one camera mounting screw. My best advise is to practice using the Glidecam in a controlled environment, discover your strengths and weaknesses, as an operator - you will find that the lack of an additional mounting screw is not a major concern, moreover you proficiency and familiarity with the Glidecam might be the larger obstacle, which is also easily dealt with. Practice with the Glidecam and you excel! Try the 577 with one screw and then see where your at - also consider the single screw mount 394

Ok, I removed the quick release. I used my D800 with my 50mm and I was able to tune it perfectly with no camera spinning around on the screw. The base had 1 plate on each side, 2 second drop time. I now need to figure out how to add a quick release and 1 more pound of weight in a wide angle lens. Ideally it would be great if the 577 worked but it doesn't. And with a heavier lens the camera spins on the screw. So some progress.

Ok I now have it tuned with my 28 1.8g. If I can just get a quick release and the 1lb heavier 16-28 in tune then I will be set. Without a quick release the 16-28 causes the camera to spin on the screw.

Check out this guys video. It's by far the best I've seen from a user and he addresses all of the problems I had before giving up and selling my glidecam. Now I'm getting ready to buy and try again. He discusses how he attaches his manfrotto quick release and how to fine tune "the drop" and shows how you don't necessarily need to keep the lens inline with the weighted base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CaFFb-3aUMI&feature=fvwp

hope this helps

Mike

alright I watched every video possible. I spent 2 weeks with the glidecam. It definitely takes some serious muscle strengthening. I am pretty strong but a 3 minute run was about the most I could do without a little break.

The good news, I got some great shots and I managed to be able to tune the glidecam to any lens. My videos are pretty damn stable and glide like crazy. I am really happy with the results.

Now the bad. I cannot use the glidecam as much as I would like. Because very simply the quick release issue. When I use a lens that is heavy, like 24oz and above then the camera swivels on the supplied cheese plate as there is only one contact point. I can tighten that screw as much as humanely possible and the camera will still spin. This causes me to need to retune the thing after pretty much every use. I also have a big problem doing the drop time without the camera spinning on that screw, again makes things a nightmare for tuning.

I have 4 different quick releases at my house and I tried them all with no success. The 577 that came with the glidecam is absolutely useless with the glide cam. Even if I mod the cheese plate to accommodate the holes I still cannot turn the lever and I looked into the idea of raising with a post the 577 and it make the glidecam not that stable, lots of sway.

So unfortunately as much as I want to love it, I am most likely returning the glidecam. I have a few videos coming up that I am doing for a few larger corporations where a glidecam would be fun but its almost more of a headache than it is worth with this kind of mounting system. The constant tuning because the camera did a little bit of a spin just makes one seem very unprofessional even if you are quick with the retune. I can tune this thing up in about 5 minutes perfectly, but the constant need to retune just makes things look silly. Bummer.

I had to think outside the box a bit but I finally solved the Nikon d800 glidecam problem and it works perfectly with the manfrotto 577 quick release now. No more spinning while tuning the drop time, no more spinning period. I did not have to mod the 577 or the hd2000, so no warranty voids. I did have to reconfigure and create a key but its a simple 5 minute job. I would need to post a video otherwise it doesn't make much sense. But I just wanted to say to Nikon d600 d800 users, don't give up. I also spent time with about 10 lenses and again would need a video to illustrate what works and what doesn't. But this thing now rocks. hd2000 and D800 are a perfect combo, the hd4000 wanted more weight, a lot more weight.