3 replies to this topic

#1 ampsonic

ampsonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to pick up my first glidecam, and I'm having trouble understanding the differences between the XR-1000 and the HD-1000. I'll be flying a panasonic GH2, most likely with the 20mm prime, so it will be very light.

Could anyone shed some light on the differences between the two glidecams? Is there any reason for me to consider moving up to the 2000 series?

Thanks!
Nick

#2 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

Glidecam Industries, Inc.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

The Glidecam HD Series line is the more feature oriented predecessor to the New Glidecam XR-Series, see the attached ‘Glidecam Hand-Held Stabilizer Product Comparison’ document for more details.
Each stabilizer offers an offset, foam cushioned, Handle Grip that is attached to a free floating, three axis Gimbal. This allows your hand to move up and down, and side-to-side, thereby isolating your hand’s unwanted motions from the camera. This up and down movement alleviates the bouncing, pogo type action often associated with our competitor’s system because their handle cannot move up and down.
Both the HD Series and XR Series incorporate a unique and proprietary, precision, three axis Gimbal that features several adjustable, axis convergence controls. This allows all three axes to intersect for proper operational alignment.
The Glidecam HD Series offers a camera-mounting platform with a quick-release, no-tools, drop-on camera plate that allows you to quickly attach or remove your camera. Ergonomic, control knobs allow quick, precise adjustment of the top stage’s back and forth, and side-to-side movement. These controls allow you to adjust the camera’s horizontal balance.
The XR Series camera mounting platform can be adjusted to move back and forth, and side to side, to quickly allow you to adjust the camera’s horizontal balance without featuring a quick-release camera plate and back and forth/side-to-side control knobs.
The HD Series offers a unique and proprietary Dynamic Base Platform that can expand or contract to a greater degree, than that of the Glidecam XR Series. This allows you to easily adjust the systems dynamic balance or to increase or decrease the systems rotational panning inertia.

#3 ampsonic

ampsonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Tom. As I am going to be using this during live events, I think the additional features of the HD series will make it quicker to balance on the fly, so that is what I have purchased.

I appreciate the insight.

#4 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

Glidecam Industries, Inc.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

Yes, the Glidecam HD-Series is best suited for Live Events.