3 replies to this topic

#1 mchurgin

mchurgin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

I am new to Glidecam and I will be balancing a very light consumer camera on an XR-1000. I have added weights under the camera and a QR plate. The total weight is about 1 3/4lbs. Do you guys recommend less weight on the bottom and a slightly longer center post, or more weight on bottom and shortest possible center post? Whats the plus and minus of both options? Any opinions appreciated. I know I will try both and see and feel how it reacts to both options. Just wondering what those with experience think.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by mchurgin, 28 February 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#2 owens

owens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Newcastle Video Moviemakers Club,

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

I am new to Glidecam and I will be balancing a very light consumer camera on an XR-1000. I have added weights under the camera and a QR plate. The total weight is about 1 3/4lbs. Do you guys recommend less weight on the bottom and a slightly longer center post, or more weight on bottom and shortest possible center post? Whats the plus and minus of both options? Any opinions appreciated. I know I will try both and see and feel how it reacts to both options. Just wondering what those with experience think.

Thanks for your input.

The same principle ablies to banlancing here is the link with Tom Howie explaining how.

http://www.glidecamf...p?showtopic=929

#3 mchurgin

mchurgin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

The same principle ablies to banlancing here is the link with Tom Howie explaining how.

http://www.glidecamf...p?showtopic=929

I have no issue balancing the unit. My question is about weight. Is there a benefit to have more or less weight at the base vs. the length of the center post? How does it effect the operqation? Is it just operator preference and camera specific?

#4 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

Glidecam Industries, Inc.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I have no issue balancing the unit. My question is about weight. Is there a benefit to have more or less weight at the base vs. the length of the center post? How does it effect the operqation? Is it just operator preference and camera specific?

The great the mass the greater the inertia and stability. You can make it as heavy at you would like for optimal performance, sometimes this is not the most practical way to go, as a lighter rig can be easier to handle. Unless of course you will be upgrading to the Glidecam Smooth Shooter or Glidecam X-10.