#2 Overexposed

Overexposed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

GLIDECAM XR-1000 and GO PRO HERO 2

Very Cool
May I mention that even though the Go Pro System has wrestled it's way into the top of the sales figures for action cams due to international advertising, there are other systems that should accept the 1/4"/20 screw to connect to the XR (or HD) 1000 mounting plate.
For one, that includes the Contour System of HD action cams that if mounted in their waterproof case will work quite nicely without all the adapters. As a bonus, the more advanced Contours can Bluetooth to your iphone for a preview check. With a GPS option, Geocaching could take on a whole new meaning once attached to the HD1000. :)
As mentioned in another of my posts, there is my concern that subjecting any of these cameras mounted to a Glidecam in a wet, freezing, muddy, tropical (you name it, it will prolly happen)'Action Environment' could cause serious damage to the Glidecam system.
An assurance from Glidecam would help any of us using this type of gear that our warranty will still be intact after that kind of use.
(Btw: I have no financial interest in Contour other than a purchase of 4 of them for my own use, in a saltwater environment)
Oe

Edited by Overexposed, 11 May 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#3 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

Glidecam Industries, Inc.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Thank you for your feedback. There are a couple others with better imaging and form factor.

Tom

#4 Mewie

Mewie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hello, sorry to bring up a dormant topic...

Just bought my XR-1000. I'm primarily going to use it with my upcoming purchase of a Canon VIXIA G10... but for now, wanted to test on my GoPo. What is the recommended balance settings for using this device? The original poster's attached picture's solution does not seem to be working for me (1 heavy counter with 2 lightweight counters on each side of the base platform).

Thanks! I'm very excited to use my XR-1000 soon :)

Edited by Mewie, 23 October 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#5 mchurgin

mchurgin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hello, sorry to bring up a dormant topic...

Just bought my XR-1000. I'm primarily going to use it with my upcoming purchase of a Canon VIXIA G10... but for now, wanted to test on my GoPo. What is the recommended balance settings for using this device? The original poster's attached picture's solution does not seem to be working for me (1 heavy counter with 2 lightweight counters on each side of the base platform).

Thanks! I'm very excited to use my XR-1000 soon :)

Based on my experience with a small lightweight camera, probably at least twice the size and weight of GOPRO I will tell you that you better load up the top platform with as much weight (3lbs) as you can. The problem with the little cameras is that they are so small and light they provide no mass, hence no inertia. I recommend making the whole unit as heavy as possible top and bottom. Keep the post as short as possible. This will allow you to put more weight on the bottom. You might want to favor a slightly faster drop time( 2.2-2.3seconds) because of the light weight this way it will be heavier and less twitchy. Once you wrap your head around the feel and how the unit reacts to different configurations you will come to realize it is a give and take. You will not get it perfect. There will be some issue due to the light weight and no mass. Also the adjustment for the height of the center post is critical. What I mean is if you do a drop time test of say 2.5 seconds, you will be able to slightly move the height of the post up or down fractions of a millimeter (with good steady hands). This adjustment could greatly effect the feel and operation of the unit but still give you the same 2.5 second drop time when counting. You can't be that exact when timing it. Again because everything is so small and light the slightest adjustment of weight by moving the post will make a big difference in feel and control. I'm talking about adjustments of less than 1mm effects the performance on top. Also I think that even if the same operators used the same Glidecam and camera they would end up setting them up differently. Everyone handles the units different and prefers a different feel.

#6 Mewie

Mewie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, mchurgin... that's exactly what i was afraid to hear.

How would I add weight to the top? Screw one of the heavy counters to the top? A bit confused because that would throw off the horizontal balance....

Again, not that big of a deal since I'm planning to use a heavier camera soon but was hoping the GoPro could be easily compatible. Looks like this is not the case.

#7 mchurgin

mchurgin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Mewie

You will need a lot more than one of the heavy weights. Even with your new camera you will need to add weight. Get some steel plates, drill a hole in them. Whatever you have to do. I added two steel plates from construction framing gussets plus some large weights from Glidecam and a quick release mounting plate. I took all the items screwed to the camera and put them on a scale and came in at 3lbs. That was my goal to max out to the limit of the unit. After you have the weight added on top than you balance. It can't throw off the horizontal, you have to put it in balance. It is no different than putting a three lb camera on top with a different weight distribution. Like a DSLR that might have more weight on the grip side and lens heavy in the front. You put it in balance. I attached a photo of my setup.

Attached File  IMG_0145 copy.jpg   303.84KB   28 downloads