10 replies to this topic

#1 baghee

baghee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hi to all,
I post some photos of my problem. If I raise up my HD 4000 with the grip aligned to the sled the setup stay still and very good balanced, with a drop time of 2.7 seconds. But if I raise up the system with the grip and my arm perpendicular to the sled the system loses the balance and tilts backward and to one side...
I've tried many times to adjust the position of center gravity...
Attached File  DSCF1037_01.JPG   143.98KB   92 downloads

Attached File  DSCF1039_01.JPG   170.33KB   86 downloads

#2 baghee

baghee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hi to all,
I post some photos of my problem. If I raise up my HD 4000 with the grip aligned to the sled the setup stay still and very good balanced, with a drop time of 2.7 seconds. But if I raise up the system with the grip and my arm perpendicular to the sled the system loses the balance and tilts backward and to one side...
I've tried many times to adjust the position of center gravity...
Attached File  DSCF1037_01.JPG   143.98KB   92 downloads

Attached File  DSCF1039_01.JPG   170.33KB   86 downloads

This is what happens when I rotate the post... why?
Attached File  DSCF1042_01.JPG   159.13KB   47 downloads

#3 Matija Petrovic

Matija Petrovic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

This is what happens when I rotate the post... why?
Attached File  DSCF1042_01.JPG   159.13KB   47 downloads

can You post video of Your problem

#4 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

Glidecam Industries, Inc.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hi again,

Based on our discussions and your photos you will need to slightly adjust the central bearing on your Glidecam HD-4000 to center.

Here are the instructions that we provide for gimbal calibration and a useful video;

Video;

Instructions;
The cover of the Glidecam 4000 central bearing can be loosened via a size 10 torx head screw, then four small set screws (size 1/16” allen wrench) found on the intersecting line, perpendicular to one another on the sides of the central bearing, can be adjusted to calibrate the alignment, centering the bearings alignment resulting in greater performance.

See the following link for more information on Torx tools; www.torxtools.com

*A bubble level is recommended for during calibration. It is also advisable that during calibration the vertical balance is at 2.5 to 3 second drop time.

The bubble should be level at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees;

Step 1:
Horizontally balance the Glidecam 4000 at 0 degrees.

Step 2:
Turn camera 180 degrees; if out of alignment adjust the downward side of the yoke via the small set screws by turning the screw clockwise, in-turn "pushing" the central bearing in the opposite direction. Start by only making 1 to 2 rotations of the adjustment set screws, as this is incremental adjustment, (.032” per rotation) and does right slight adjustments. Move to step 3.
During this process you must also loosen the counter set screw back-stop, opposite screw from the ‘active adjustment set screw’, one on the ‘downward’ side of the yoke.

Step 3:
Then rotate Glidecam 4000 back to 0 degrees and horizontally balance using the camera.

Step 4:
Then rotate back to 180 degrees, if still out of alignment repeat steps 2-4.

Step 5:
Repeat steps 2-4 for 90 and 270 degrees. (this may take several attempts)

Step 6:
Once balanced on the 0-90, and 180-270, lock torx head screws on cover.

#5 ab2.

ab2.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I am having the same exact problem and invested a good amount of money for the HD 4000 and the X-10 vest system. Do the Gimbals come factory balanced? I was a bit frustrated with it.

Edited by ab2., 19 September 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#6 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

This is a rare occurance, however, it does happen less that 1% of the time on some of our USA Made gimbals.

Please let me know if you need any assistance with these instructions, as it is a quick easy fix. Feel free to email me directly at tomh@glidecam.com

#7 ab2.

ab2.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Tom,

I tried doing what the video instructed, but it didn't work. I took the cap off the top of the bearing and see that there are small pins that extend out to push the bearing in the desired place. I noticed on mine that the pins on the end of the bolt are flush with the walls even though it's all the way tightened down. So the pins are not moving the bearing in the desired spot. I don't think this is right and I followed the directions explicitly. Do I have a defective unit? This has caused a lot of frustrations with trying to balance this thing. I took pictures.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 ab2.

ab2.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Here's some additional pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hi Ab2 - thank you for your detailed description. Have you tried 'screwing' the adjustment screw all the way through the bearing housing? There might be a metal burr on the screws hole (flush sides) Did you try pushing screws all the way through on both side? See your email as well. We will get this figured out for you :)

#10 ELLIOTSTERN

ELLIOTSTERN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Wow!  I thought I had this balance thing licked but I guess not.  I am having the same difficulty when rotating 90 degrees.  I am not one to mess with tools of any kind if I can help it.  Letherman is my speed.  I don't feel real secure going in and trying to adjust a gimbal and that might mean that this really neat device hd1000 will get itself shelved. 

I have spent a good amount of time and tought I had it balanced.  Worked a little bit with it this afternoon and had a little sway.  Just picked it up and it was out of whack.  Rebalanced it and did the 90 degree test everyone was talking about and wouldn't you know it.  the camera went forward and to the left.  Tried again and the same problem.  What to do.

Edited by ELLIOTSTERN, 10 June 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#11 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi Elliot,

Glad I was able to resolve this issue for you.