• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Pleco

Trevor Pleco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

I urgently need to get a Manfrotto quick release plate for my Glidecam HD2000 and Canon 5dmk2 rig. I'm keen to know which Manfrotto QR plate would be more practical, the 357 with the longer plate so presumably more flexibilty with balancing, but might be too much in the way or the shorter more compact 577 model ? I will be mounting a small HD DP4 monitor on the foot, well that's the idea at this stage...

#2 owens

owens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Newcastle Video Moviemakers Club,

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

I urgently need to get a Manfrotto quick release plate for my Glidecam HD2000 and Canon 5dmk2 rig. I'm keen to know which Manfrotto QR plate would be more practical, the 357 with the longer plate so presumably more flexibilty with balancing, but might be too much in the way or the shorter more compact 577 model ? I will be mounting a small HD DP4 monitor on the foot, well that's the idea at this stage...

I just ordered today the Manfrotto with plate from Ebay,just do a search for "Manfrotto 577 Connect Adapter with Sliding Plate 501PL" it was $58.99 plus $16.00 freight to Australia I am going to use it on my HD2000 with my small tape cameras, I just purchased the HD4000 (which i should recieve by this Tueday)and will transfer the Miller Quick release from the HD2000 because i also use a Miller Tripod.

Mark

#3 Trevor Pleco

Trevor Pleco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

I just ordered today the Manfrotto with plate from Ebay,just do a search for "Manfrotto 577 Connect Adapter with Sliding Plate 501PL" it was $58.99 plus $16.00 freight to Australia I am going to use it on my HD2000 with my small tape cameras, I just purchased the HD4000 (which i should recieve by this Tueday)and will transfer the Miller Quick release from the HD2000 because i also use a Miller Tripod.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I will look it up, is this not the same Manf 577 on B&H for about 50$ ? I have the Ronford QRP for my larger HD cameras and tripods, but thought I should go for the lighter Manfrotto on the Glidecam where weight was critical, as it'sabout 150+grams lighter and has the option to slide for perfecting the balance, but perhaps the 577 is all I need and not the 357 with the longer plate...

#4 owens

owens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Newcastle Video Moviemakers Club,

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Mark, I will look it up, is this not the same Manf 577 on B&H for about 50$ ? I have the Ronford QRP for my larger HD cameras and tripods, but thought I should go for the lighter Manfrotto on the Glidecam where weight was critical, as it'sabout 150+grams lighter and has the option to slide for perfecting the balance, but perhaps the 577 is all I need and not the 357 with the longer plate...

Yes is the same as B&H but the freight cost was much more expensive to Australia so i went to Ebay

#5 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

Glidecam Industries, Inc.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

Hi Trevor,

The 577 plate is the way to go.

#6 Bjornlund.me

Bjornlund.me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi!

Im using the 577 with 501 mount and it works great, even more if you're using the Manfrotto 501HDV Tripod. :D

#7 CaliPVP

CaliPVP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Can you guys post/link a photo to your quick release plate on the Glidecam?

#8 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

See:

http://i12.photobuck...ual/GCRig01.jpg

#9 Piotr

Piotr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi Tom,

Just as a side note, is this the HD-series Docking Bracket in the picture? If so, could you please explain to me whether - apart from its main function of balancing the stabilizer, and parking it when not in use - it's also designed to safely store the arm? Or is the arm just casually hung in this picture?

#10 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hi Piotr,

The Glidecam Arm can be hung from the side of Docking Bracket via the Stainless Pin on its side, see: http://www.glidecam....ing-bracket.php

#11 Piotr

Piotr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yes Tom, looking at the bracket I'd suspect the pin is there for a purpose - but at the pic you linked to earlier, it's not used. So I still am unsure how it's used for hanging the Arm :)

Sorry for these naive questions, but I'm just trying to decide whether to buy the "full" bracket (in addition to its Smooth Shooter package version), or not...

#12 Piotr

Piotr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:20 AM

Dear Tom,

I just got a C-stand and the full Docking Bracket, but can't figure out how to park my Smooth Shooter Arm on it securely - of course it can be hung in many ways, but I wonder which of them is actually what the designer had in mind :)

#13 baiaz

baiaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hello - I am new to GlideCam (just bought it last weekend) and I can see that I might need the quick-release - but I have a question:

I am using Canon 5D mark II and the lens that I use is: Canon 24-105 and Samyang 14mm - so the question is:

If I change the lenses - I am wondering if I have to change the position of the Quick Release or if it is a slider on it so I can balance it without removing it and change the position of it?

Edited by baiaz, 22 August 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#14 Matija Petrovic

Matija Petrovic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hello - I am new to GlideCam (just bought it last weekend) and I can see that I might need the quick-release - but I have a question:

I am using Canon 5D mark II and the lens that I use is: Canon 24-105 and Samyang 14mm - so the question is:

If I change the lenses - I am wondering if I have to change the position of the Quick Release or if it is a slider on it so I can balance it without removing it and change the position of it?

if you put quick release plate on rights position no, but when You change lens you need to balace glidecam all over again

#15 baiaz

baiaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

When I use my 24-105 lens I have to have my camera all at the back on the plate.. but when I change.. I have to move my camera one notch forward... do I also have to do this using the manofrotto?

I know that I have to re-balance... but it would be nice if I dont have ot change the position of the camera!

#16 Matija Petrovic

Matija Petrovic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

well try to balance first with one lens then with another and don't change the position of plate, if you can't balanced you need to change the position of plate, I can't tell you exactly for your two lenses

#17 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

Horizontal Center of Gravity will change from Camera Setup to Camera Setup (i.e. camera, with lens and accessories)

As you become more familiar with the Glidecam, you will have a better understanding on how precise of a tool it is.

#18 Mauricio Rodriguez Campos

Mauricio Rodriguez Campos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

For me, this QR is great!!!

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it with DSLR

#19 KarlKani

KarlKani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I have an issue with the 577 where once mounted the cinch screw on 577 is blocked by GC bigger qr plate…?  What is the solution here?  Mount, remove screw with allen and get to tight spot then reattach?  Any hints?

#20 Tom Howie

Tom Howie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

Manfrotto 577 - ratching feature.

The lever knob has a ratcheting feature, so you can position knob at the best position for firm tightening at a narrow range-of-motion.