Hd 4000 Balancing Problem

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi to all,

I post some photos of my problem. If I raise up my HD 4000 with the grip aligned to the sled the setup stay still and very good balanced, with a drop time of 2.7 seconds. But if I raise up the system with the grip and my arm perpendicular to the sled the system loses the balance and tilts backward and to one side...

I've tried many times to adjust the position of center gravity...

Posted · Report post

Hi to all,

I post some photos of my problem. If I raise up my HD 4000 with the grip aligned to the sled the setup stay still and very good balanced, with a drop time of 2.7 seconds. But if I raise up the system with the grip and my arm perpendicular to the sled the system loses the balance and tilts backward and to one side...

I've tried many times to adjust the position of center gravity...

This is what happens when I rotate the post... why?

Posted · Report post

This is what happens when I rotate the post... why?

can You post video of Your problem

Posted · Report post

Hi again,

Based on our discussions and your photos you will need to slightly adjust the central bearing on your Glidecam HD-4000 to center.

Here are the instructions that we provide for gimbal calibration and a useful video;

Video;

Instructions;

The cover of the Glidecam 4000 central bearing can be loosened via a size 10 torx head screw, then four small set screws (size 1/16

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am having the same exact problem and invested a good amount of money for the HD 4000 and the X-10 vest system. Do the Gimbals come factory balanced? I was a bit frustrated with it.

Edited by ab2.

Posted · Report post

This is a rare occurance, however, it does happen less that 1% of the time on some of our USA Made gimbals.

Please let me know if you need any assistance with these instructions, as it is a quick easy fix. Feel free to email me directly at tomh@glidecam.com

Posted · Report post

Tom,

I tried doing what the video instructed, but it didn't work. I took the cap off the top of the bearing and see that there are small pins that extend out to push the bearing in the desired place. I noticed on mine that the pins on the end of the bolt are flush with the walls even though it's all the way tightened down. So the pins are not moving the bearing in the desired spot. I don't think this is right and I followed the directions explicitly. Do I have a defective unit? This has caused a lot of frustrations with trying to balance this thing. I took pictures.

1a1a.jpga1a1.jpg

Posted · Report post

Here's some additional pictures.

Photoshop-3.jpg

Photoshop-2.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hi Ab2 - thank you for your detailed description. Have you tried 'screwing' the adjustment screw all the way through the bearing housing? There might be a metal burr on the screws hole (flush sides) Did you try pushing screws all the way through on both side? See your email as well. We will get this figured out for you :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow! I thought I had this balance thing licked but I guess not. I am having the same difficulty when rotating 90 degrees. I am not one to mess with tools of any kind if I can help it. Letherman is my speed. I don't feel real secure going in and trying to adjust a gimbal and that might mean that this really neat device hd1000 will get itself shelved.

I have spent a good amount of time and tought I had it balanced. Worked a little bit with it this afternoon and had a little sway. Just picked it up and it was out of whack. Rebalanced it and did the 90 degree test everyone was talking about and wouldn't you know it. the camera went forward and to the left. Tried again and the same problem. What to do.

Edited by ELLIOTSTERN

Posted · Report post

Hi Elliot,

Glad I was able to resolve this issue for you.